Monday, September 5, 2011

What I've Been Up To.....



Lately I have not given myself a lot of time for blogging... There is always something more important, or more fun, to do. Will gave me a Kindle for my birthday, so I have been reading on that. I also have been sewing a lot.


First: The first book I read on my Kindle was The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I'm sure you've heard of it, the movie version has been number one in the box office for three weeks straight. I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie because I heard that they were both excellent. I finished the book in a few days as I read leisurely between classes and at night. I had a hard time getting into it because of the thick Southern dialect used, but soon got used to it and really enjoyed the book. I was really excited for the movie because I thought it would be just as good, if not better! Sadly, I was disappointed. Although I really enjoyed the acting, and they got quite a lot right, I felt like there was just too much missing. It was still a good movie, and Will liked it, which is saying something considering he had no idea what it was going to be about. Its so difficult to make a movie as good as the book, there is almost always so much that is left out. Throughout the movie I kept thinking: "When is _____ going to happen?", "It didn't happen like that in the book!", and "That character would never do/say that!!" It was still good though! If you're interested in seeing the movie and reading the book, I think I would say see the movie first! Then if you feel like there are missing gaps, the book will fill them in. :)


Second: I've been sewing up a storm over here!! I have been making small pouches, pencil/cosmetic bags, etc. I have sewn around 15 things in the last ten days or so. I have pictures of some of them that I will share. :) I mostly have not been going by any patterns (besides the case shown below) and have been being relatively careless, so they are definitely NOT perfect. But I have really enjoyed making them!



First bag I ever made!
Made this one into a clutch.
My new pencil bag!
Changed this one up a bit!

Really proud of this one.....
Can you guess what it is?!
A new case for my Kindle!!!!!!!
First fold-over pouch.
My sister asked me to make her a bunch of small pouches so this is what I came up with...
I included a large pouch for them all to fit inside.
Made this bag for my grandma for her 75th birthday! <3

I did not upload pictures of all of them because I didn't want to overwhelm you with photos! There are just a couple others that I did not include. I really am loving sewing though! It is really fun and I always feel so accomplished after I have created something new. :) Plus it feels good to give hand-made gifts, so I hope the people I have given some to have liked them despite their beginner's flaws. <3