Sunday, July 17, 2011

Our 'Yaking' Adventure

 Today Will and I went kayaking! We were planning on going this morning, but then we had to wait until noon so I could pick up an antique sewing machine I bought from Stuff Etc (I'll blog about that later).  As soon as we left from getting the sewing machine it started POURING! With loud thunder and freaky lightning! The forecast called for 0% chance of rain and a high of 92 so I was very disappointed.. But, just as soon as the storm started, it stopped! So we got in the car and headed out to the lake!
We rented the kayak from the university I attend.  It only cost $25 for a weekend rental, and they provided us with tie-down's, life jackets and paddles.  The kayak we rented was a tandem sit-on-top.  Sit-on-top just means that instead of sitting inside of the kayak, we sat on top of it!
We started out pretty cautious, paddling consistently and keeping our life jackets on.  After a while we got more comfortable with it and took our life jackets off (but kept them looped around our arms) because it was REALLY hot!  Then we stopped paddling and just floated around.
 Will was really sweet and paddled me around while I laid on the kayak.  We had some snacks and took some photos.  He splashed me with his hands, so I sent a tidal wave over him with my paddle.  Mwahahaha.  He got what he had coming! ;)
 Isn't he attractive?
We had some really lovely views all around the lake.  Its not very big so after a couple of hours we decided to head home.  We think next time it will be more fun if we go on a river and have someone pick us up at our "landing spot."  That way we can go with the current and have more change in scenery.

Overall we had so much fun!! It was a lot easier than I was expecting and although I did get wet from somebody splashing me, we didn't fall out or over at all!  If you are thinking about trying kayaking, do it!  I didn't think using a two-person (tandem) kayak was difficult at all.  So I would definitely suggest it to anyone wanting to go with a friend.  I'm not sure the difference between the sit-on-top and the sit-inside since I've only used one type, but we thought we might like a sit-inside one better.  I think the benefit to the sit-on-top is that the kayak itself is more stable so it is less likely to flip, even though you might fall off! :)